Saturday, June 30, 2007

One of my Front Yard Visitors poses for us ...



Hummingbirds in my yard are basically a new thing for me. It is a pleasure I enjoy greatly.

As I arrived home a couple of days ago, with my digital camera in tow (I try to remember to take it, fresh batteries and a SD disk with room to spare on it, everywhere I go) ... and as I came up the steps, I heard a loud buzzing. Originally, I had thought these were large wood boring bees. But they aren't.

I have two types of hummingbirds that come to visit. One, when it faces me, is only about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half tall. When it turns around, and shows off it's tail, it ends up about two and a half inches long. The other one is maybe three and a half to four inches long.

It's the smaller ones that I thought were huge bees at first.

That's what I heard. It came and hovered just a few inches in front of me. Before I could grab the camera from the bag, turn it on, get the lens cap off and lifted into place, the bird had zipped away. I called, quietly, "All I wanted was your picture." It stopped in the structure my husband plans to convert to a greenhouse and sat on a trellis line.

So, I put the camera down and got out the house keys. Then out of the corner of my eye I see another blur.

This time I got a few shots of the larger hummingbird, but wasn't sure if they would be in focus or not. I was afraid I would end up with ugly grass in focus and a blurry bird.

That's two of the shots I got, cropped down quite a bit ...


No comments: